For Deli Geese Project Blocks #15 and #16 you need to know how to make the Disappearing Four Patch block, so I am giving detailed instructions in this blog.
This is what the Disappearing Four Patch block looks like, and since it finishes 8″ it’s a perfect candidate to use in the Deli Geese Project!
Select two dark 5″ squares and two light 5″ squares.
1. Sew them together into a large Four Patch.
2. Measure over 1″ from the center and cut. Do this on both sides of the center seam.
3. Arrange the units and sew them together.
4. In the opposite direction, measure over 1″ from the center and cut. Do this on both sides of the center seam.
5. Arrange the units and sew together.
This block should measure 8 1/2″ at this point and will finish at 8″.
A second way to cut and sew for this block is to do all the cutting first, arrange the pieces, and sew the pieces together like a nine patch.
To do this start with a four patch made from 5″ squares.
1. Measure over 1″ from the center seam and cut on both sides of the center seam in each direction, being careful not to let the pieces shift out of position.
2. Arrange the pieces and sew together.
No matter which way you choose to construct this block you’ll have lots of fun making them.
Of course you don’t have to use them in a Deli Geese block, they are great to use in a quilt all by themselves. As the year draws to an end and we start making New Year’s resolutions and looking at our fabric stashes, this block as well as many others that are made from 5″ squares are great stash busting quilts!
Pat Speth author of: Nickel Quilts, More Nickel Quilts, Amazing Nickel Quilts, and Nickel Quilts & Borders
This information is copyright protected
© 2013 Pat Speth
All rights reserved.
This pattern/design is for your personal, non-commercial use only.
You are not allowed to mass produce this information.