My Spring Beauty test block:
This is what you need to make a Spring Beauty block:
6 dark or medium 5″ squares for the Flying Geese units and the corner triangles
3 dark or medium 5″ inch squares for the block center and the side triangles
1. Make eight Flying Geese units following the instructions from my May 8, 2012 post.
2. Sew the flying geese units into sets of two.
3. To make the center portion of the block trim a 5″ square down to 4 1/2″ square. Add connecting corners to each corner in the same manner that you did for the flying geese.
4. Cut two 5″ squares in half on the diagonal for the side triangles. Yes, the bias edges will be on the outside edge of the block – I suggest a little spray starch to help stabilize the edges. If I were making several of these blocks and all the side triangles were from the same fabric I would cut 6 7/8″ squares and cut them twice on the diagonal.
5. Arrange the units and triangles from steps 2 through 4 into three rows. Sew the units into rows and sew the rows together.
6. Cut two 5″ squares in half on the diagonal for the corner triangles. Sew these onto the corners of the block and square the block up to 11 3/4″, leaving 1/4″ seam allowances for the points. This block will finish 11 1/4″.
First sample block from the calendar done – how many I will eventually make?? Who knows – but this sure is fun!